Costantino “Titinu” Nivola was born in Orani (Nuoro) on July 5, 1911
1926 Moves to Sassari where he works with the painter Mario Delitala as an apprentice and assists with the frescoes in the University of Sassari’s Great Hall.
1931 Moves to Monza where he attends the Institute for Industrial Arts, thanks to a scholarship. Among his teachers there are Marino Marini, De Grada, Semeghini, the architects Pagano and Persico, and the graphic artist Nizzoli.
1932 Exhibits woodcuts in several government-sponsored exhibitions in Sardinia. Goes to Paris, where he meets Emilio Lussu.
1934 In Nuoro, he participates in an exhibition with Giovanni Pintori and Salvatore Fancello, the limited success of which convinces the three artists that their future lies outside of Sardinia. In Milan, he collaborates with Giovanni Pintori on an exhibition about Italian Aeronautics. Meets Ruth Guggenheim, also a student at the Art Institute of Monza, whom he marries in 1938.
1936 Graduates from I.S.I.A. in Monza, specializing in graphic design. Joins the IV Milan Triennial with an installation of wall panels. He is employed at the Olivetti company in Milan.
1937 Becomes the director of Olivetti’s Graphic Design Department. In Paris he takes part in the World’s Fair with murals for the Italian Pavilion. He is involved in drafting a town plan for Valle d'Aosta.
1938 Marries Ruth Guggenheim and together they move to Paris to avoid Fascist persecution. He meets Giorgio de Chirico.
1939 Costantino and Ruth settle in New York where they frequent Italian antifascist circles.
1940 Establishes himself in Greenwich Village in New York where the climate of the New York art scene is changing rapidly with the arrival of refugee European artists.
1941 Becomes art director of the architecture magazine "Interiors and Industrial Design", a position he holds for six years. Concurrently, he serves as the art director for the women's magazine "You".
1942 Exhibits with Saul Steinberg in a group show at the Betty Parsons Gallery in New York.
1943 Exhibits paintings and sculptures in an exhibition with Saul Steinberg at the Wakefield Gallery in New York.
1944 His son Pietro is born.
1946 Meets Le Corbusier, who paints in Nivola's studio for about two years.
1947 His daughter Chiara is born.
1948 Buys a house in East Hampton, Long Island, reinforcing his ties with a group of American artists who have chosen to isolate themselves in the eastern part of Long Island, among them Jackson Pollock, Ibram Lassaw, James Brooks, John Little, and Hans Namuth.
1949 Invents a new technique of fusion for sculptures in bas-relief (sand-casting).
1950/51 Has a solo show at the Tibor de Nagy Gallery in New York, exhibits sculptures with a Totem style using the sand-casting technique. Participates in the Rome Quadrennial. Transforms the garden of his house in Long Island into a "house garden" with the help of the architect Bernard Rudofski. Experiments with the first architectural applications of the sand-casting technique.
1953 Using the sand-casting technique, he creates a bas-relief for the Olivetti showroom in New York. Designs ”Orani Pergolato", a plan for urban renewal in his home town, which is published in the magazine “Interiors”.
1954/55 Receives a commission to design a war memorial, The Four Chaplains, near Washington D.C. He teaches at Harvard University and becomes the director of the University’s Design Workshop. Creates murals for private clients.
1956/57 Receives the Certificate of Excellence from the American Institute of Graphic Arts. Creates the panels for the façade of the Hartford Mutual Insurance Company in Connecticut and the William E. Grady Vocational High School in Brooklyn.
1958 In Orani, he completes the mural for the façade of the church of Sa Itria and the tombs of his mother and brother. Exhibits a series of small sculptures made of concrete in the streets of his hometown. Designs murals for Harvard University in Cambridge. The Association of Architects of New York organizes an exhibition of all his works.
1959 Has a solo show at La Galleria del Milione in Milan. Joins the Milan Triennial. Executes bas-reliefs for the facade of the Exhibition Center in Chicago, which has a surface area of about 12,000 feet. Creates bas-reliefs and sculptures for the façade of Public School 46 in Brooklyn.
1960 Works on a project of 35 sculptures for the Morse and Stiles dormitories at Yale University, designed by Eero Saarinen. Completes the decorative murals for the Motorola Building in Chicago.
1961 Invents the technique of cement-carving. Enters the contest for the monument to the Sassari Brigade.
1962 Receives a Certificate of Merit from the Municipal Art Society of New York, the Silver Medal for Sculpture from the Architectural League of New York and the Carborundum Major Abrasive Marketing Award. Executes murals, fountains and sculptures for the Stefen Wise recreation area in New York in collaboration with the architect Richard Stein. Teaches at Columbia University.
1963 Designs panels for the offices of the Federal Office in Kansas City, Missouri. Completes a fresco for the playground of Public School 17 in Long Island.
1964 Is responsible for designing and decorating the playground of Public School 55 in Staten Island, New York.
1965 Receives a Certificate of Commendation from the Parks Association of New York. Has a solo show at the Byron Gallery in New York. Participates in the IX Quadrennial of National Art in Rome.
1966 Completes the renovation project for Piazza Sebastiano Satta in Nuoro. Creates panels for the façade of the Bridgeport Post’s headquarters in Connecticut. In collaboration with the architect Percival Goodman, creates bas-relief panels for Public School 345 in Brooklyn.
1967 Has two solo shows: at the Byron Gallery, New York and at Galleria L'Acquario, Nuoro. Receives the Gold Medal in Fine Arts from the American Institute of Architects in New York. Completes sculptures for Public High School 320 in Brooklyn.
1968 For the occasion of the Olympics held in Mexico City, completes a sculpture representing Italy. Enters the contest for the monument to Gramsci. His works are exhibited at Guild Hall Museum in East Hampton. Receives the Fine Arts Medal from the American Institute of Architects.
1969 Is commissioned to design and realize two murals for the Hurley Building, a State office building in Boston.
1970 Becomes a professor at the Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts at Harvard University. Makes a relief mural and a sculpture for the Continental Office Building in Philadelphia.
1972 Carries out a bas-relief for the State Senate building in Albany, New York. Completes several sculptures for Intermediate School 183 in the Bronx. Is appointed a member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters, the first time the award is given to a non-American artist. Completes a mural for the Satta house in Quartu S. Elena, Cagliari.
1973 His works are exhibited widely: solo shows at the Galleria il Segno and the Galleria Marlborough in Rome, at the University of Cagliari, and at the Williard Gallery in New York.
1974 Completes three large sculptures for Beach High School in Queens, New York. Has a solo show at the Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston.
1975 Becomes an honorary member of the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in The Hague, Holland. His works are exhibited in a group show at Guild Hall Museum in East Hampton.
1977 Continues to be an artist-in-residence at the American Academy in Rome, where his works are exhibited in a group exhibition. Participates in another group show at the Stable Gallery in New York.
1978 Teaches at the University of Berkeley in the Art Department.
1981 Designs marble sculptures for the new headquarters of Mobil Oil in Washington D.C. and is part of the jury for the design of the capital's Vietnam War memorial.
1982 Has a temporary teaching post at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in The Hague. Exhibits drawings, sculptures and ceramics made in collaboration with the ceramist Luigi Nioi in Cagliari at the Duchamp Gallery.
1984 Receives a commission for the creation of several bronze sculptures and bas-reliefs for the Police Department and Fire Brigade of the 18th District of New York. Becomes an honorary member of the Morse and Stiles Colleges at Yale University.
1985 The architect Gyo Obata asks him to create three sculptures for the Kellogg Company's corporate headquarters in Battle Creek, Michigan. The Artistic Committee of the City of New York nominates Nivola for the Award for Excellence in Design.
1986 Creates a carved column, which is installed in 1988 in the Campo del Sole in Tuoro, near Trasimeno.
1987 Works on sculptures for the new headquarters of the Regional Council of Sardinia in Cagliari. He shows his latest works in San Quirico d'Orcia in Tuscany in an exhibition entitled "Forma nel Verde". Realizes a fountain entitled "At the Washhouse of Ulassai”.
1988 On May 6th, Costantino Nivola dies in Long Island, a few days before he would have left for Sardinia for the inauguration of the new headquarters of the Regional Council of Sardinia in Cagliari. Even after his death, solo exhibitions of his work continue to be held around the world in dedication to him.